Underwater Photo Competition
What a wild 4 days we had. The conditions were tough … and still, check out the winning images below - click for full images and for info on photographers - category - rankings.
Check out the full underwater finale slide show - this is an 9mb Quicktime movie.
Photographic Shootout - Information
The underwater photo competition of this festival is open to everyone, visitors and locals alike. As a shootout competition all photos entered must have been taken during the designated festival shootout dives. There are fantastic prizes up for grabs worth over $20,000 and we anticipate strong participation, so book your shootout space early.
All photographs to be taken between 10th and 13th May 2007. See detailed competition rules below.
Photos will be judged in the following categories
- Best Festival Portfolio - 5 images
- Best Festival Photograph - SLR camera
- Best Festival Photograph - Compact camera
- Best Festival Photograph - Novice
- Best Festival Photograph - Freediving & Snorkelling
and in addition we will present the
- Neville Coleman Awards - most interesting critter finds
Byron Underwater Festival Shootout Competition rules
- This competition is open to everyone.
- This is a shootout competition over a maximum of 8 dives or. Only photos taken on theses dives can be entered.
- There are now 5 categories in this competition: Novice, SLR cameras, Compact cameras & Portfolio as well a Freediving category. In addition to these will be the Neville Coleman Award for most interesting critter find & photograph. Each category as well as the Neville Coleman Award will have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd winner.
- The novice section is restricted to photographers with underwater photography experience of less than 12 months. Novice entrants are unable to compete in other categories.
- Only images taken underwater can be entered into the competition (over-under shots are permitted).
- Submissions can only be digital, but scanned slides or photographs are permitted.
- Images can be “cleaned up” and colour corrected, but cropped images are not permitted.
- The copyright of the entered photos remains with the photographers. The Underwater Festival organisers retain the right to publish any submitted photo on the underwaterfestival websites and other print and web publications for the purpose of promoting future festivals and in those cases there will be no payment for the use of the copyright. We will not sell or give away the rights to use your photographs to any third party without seeking prior consent.
- Touching of marine life is strictly prohibited, this competition in conducted within a sanctuary zone of the Cape Byron Marine Park and you will need to adhere to the Code of Conduct of the New South Wales Marine Park Authority.
- Photos will be judged by an experienced panel including Neville Coleman. All decisions of the judges are final, and not subject to review.
- Winners will be announced as part of the Byron Underwater Festival Finale on 13 May and prizes will be handed over that evening (if possible).
- Prizes and entry categories are subject to change.
- By entering the Byron Underwater Festival Photographic Shootout Competition you agree with the above terms and conditions.